Wednesday, January 11, 2017

the sun is also a star



 *****5

Thrilled it will be turned into a movie!

This was an impulse buy! HA I read somewhere it was good-so I bought it!
Did not realize it was young adult. But that is OK. It was a quick read. And I kind of got giddy remembering some of those teen feelings.
But in all seriousness- I don't care how OLD you are or if you are left or right. It is an amazing book. It touches on some very deep themes, by giving you a glimpse into the lives of several different characters. The two main characters are Natasha (her and her family being deported) and Daniel (2nd best Korean son) both living in New York City. The majority of the book takes place in once day. I don't want to give a lot away-but I feel like Yoon used the theme of teen romance to bring on some big topics-like life, dealth, family dynamics, immigration and racism. Fabulously done.

In my video I read the opening inspiring quotes and one "chapter"-Daniel, and one Natasha.
"Chapters" : This book isn't really chapters. It switches from each person's perspective 1-2 pages. Another great reason I love this book-it is unconventional and shows young adults a different way writing style.

PS- I sobbed uncontrollably at the end!!!



Wordle created from other reviews on amazon




No comments:

Post a Comment